Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Artist Profile: William Irving Singer

I had the opportunity to meet and photograph painter William Irving Singer back in May. I wanted to share the results of our session as well as his perspective on being a young artist living in Detroit:

Detroit may not be first place that comes to mind for a recent college graduate to start his career, but it is for painter, William Irving Singer, 24. “It's a great place to get started," he told me while giving a tour of his large $238/month studio in the Cass Corridor near downtown. "Detroit's got a bad rep, but spend a month here, and you'll realize it's not as bad as people say." Singer found that Detroit also has a lot of open doors when it comes to finding a studio and locating supplies. “My landlord made it easy for me to move in and was open to my suggestions.” Singer was also surprised at how many friends and neighbors stopped by his studio to drop off antique books and photographs for inspiration. “You can really do what you want here, and people will support you."

To view Singers work visit www.wirving.com or stop by Stella Cafe in the Fischer Building to see it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment