Saturday, February 12, 2011

Artist Profile: Debora Oden


Debora Oden was a printmaking professor of mine at SCAD. She taught me to love fibrous Japanese paper, chaotic mark making, and mono chromatic color themes. Her personal work is so very inspiring. She mainly uses a process called etching. Basically, she scratches a glass plate and fills the scratches with ink. Then she rolls the glass plate through a printing press onto paper. She explains the wild marks that are found in her pieces by saying,

"My prints are a record of my movement through place—the back and forth movement of the press, the folding and arranging of paper, of the rhythmic repetition of a tool scratching a plate, the scraping and wiping of ink. It is about the litany of inking and printing, the hand over hand movement as I strain to turn the wheel of the press, the clang and the roll of the press bed as it breaks free from the pressure of the roller. This print process structures my uncivilized marks and allows my work to contain both passion and grace. "

No comments:

Post a Comment