Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Traditional Daquiri

At most bars and restaurants, a daquiri is a green sugary concoction with whip cream and a crazy straw. But a true daquiri is a simple drink with just three ingredientssugar, lime, and rum.

A few years ago, my sister introduced me to the Nicaraguan rum Flor de Caña, and I've been obsessed with it ever since. I never thought I liked rum until discovering Flor de Caña, and I can assure you that it tastes nothing like Bacardi. Flor de Caña can be found in both gold and white and you can find it aged from 4-21 years. After several tastings, my sister and I can strongly recommend the 7 year in gold. It's perfectly smooth and a great price. Flor de Caña can be hard to find, so if you spot any of the varieties, pick one up.

Traditional Daquiri Recipe
2 ounces rum
1 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice (emphasis on fresh-squeezed)
1/2 ounce simple syrup (simple syrup is equal parts sugar and water, with the sugar dissolved)

Combine ingredients in a shaker with plenty of ice, and strain into a glass.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment